Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 8, Ontario, OR to Boise, ID, 62 miles

It was a beautiful day with a cloudless sky above us. We all felt good today (Monday) knowing that tomorrow (Tuesday) we get our first rest day. We are ready and all my body parts say thank you!

We rode into Boise, Idaho today all together in our group wearing our matching America by Bicycle jerseys. It’s a great way to let people know who we are and it is a fun way to end our first week together. Some will be saying good bye here and there will be a few others that will join the group and ride from this point on. It has been fun to get to know many in the group. I can feel some of the relationships are really growing.

The day we rode 120 miles with two big climbs my breakfast was 6 pancakes, 6 sausages, 2 bowls of oatmeal, 2 glasses of orange juice, a banana, and a small yogurt. But I swear I was hungry by the top of the first climb!

At the first SAG stop I refilled my now empty bottles, ate strawberries, an apple, 6 Fig Newtons, 2 boxes of raisons, and then stuffed a banana, a Cliff Bar, and a box of raisins in my back pocket which I ate before the finish of the second climb. I drank 9 bottles of water and Gatorade and was still ready to eat when I reached Prineville and the finish. The result was that I lost 5 pounds this week!

It’s just like living for Christ. Without spiritual nutrition we lose our strength and ability to walk by faith. Prayer, reading God’s promises and some fellowship help me as much in my faith as food is helping me continue to ride. To ride long and strong takes fuel. To live for Christ takes spiritual refreshment.

Last night after supper I borrowed a unicycle from the local bike shop and some basketballs and performed the unicycle/juggling show for the whole group. I shared some stories and ideas of faith and everyone was very appreciative. Our group is not only riding and eating across America, we are growing as we go.

Thanks for your prayers.

Tom

1 comment:

KN said...

Nino Tom!

I just looked at your itinerary and I think I'll pass you some time on June 28 as you go from Burley to Blackfoot in ID and as I go from Boise to Denver. If I we you guys on the road we'll wave and say a prayer!

Kyle Navis