Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 7, Baker City, OR to Ontario, OR, 85 miles

After getting taken out by a suddenly opened car door on Saturday afternoon I quickly thanked the Lord it wasn’t worse and spent the night icing my ribs, hip and shoulder. Since my goal is to ride every single mile from the Pacific coast to Minneapolis I was concerned the accident might cause me to miss a day or two of riding. The tour staff offered to let me ride in the support vehicle but were very understanding when I decided to try and ride.

Imagine the encouragement I felt when six riders were waiting for me when I finally came out of the hotel this morning. I was the last one out and I assumed everyone would be on the road by now. Their goal was to help me ride the 85 miles to Ontario. I have known these people for less than a week and their gesture of support and kindness lifted my spirits.

We were in a pace line taking turns all day to be more efficient. They took turns carrying my backpack to lighten my burden and even changed my flat tire. Proverbs 18:24 says, “There are friends who pretend to be friends, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.”

My goal has always been to be a friend and share Christ. The fruit of those dynamics was never clearer than today. We missed a turn adding miles and still made it to our hotel in Ontario by 1:00. We crossed a time line today into Mountain Time.

Thanks for praying. God is watching over me.

Tom
PS I’m gonna need more liniment!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the 8th day, the Lord created the Chamois Butt'r and then said: "Let my riders have a day of rest..."

Keep it up, Tom, you're doing GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Tom,
WE continue to pray for your success and recovery! The Lord is protecting you by surrounding you with HIs love and friends; yet, he is reminding you to focus always on others that don't see bikers.
I love the town name John Day, because that is the name of Craig's best friend and best man in our wedding!
Be safe!
In HIm
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Tom and Karen,

Words cannot express how much my wife and I admire and are deeply moved by what the both of you have done and continue to do. It helps us realize how much one person can so positively impact the lives of so many.

When I first met Tom at the beginning of our bike tour across America I told Kelli that Tom was a man that I wanted a chance to get to know better. Today I got that opportunity and let me tell you that both of us have had a life changing day. You both are such an inspiration and I feel truly blessed for having the opportunity to spend time with Tom. What can I say other than thank you for who you are and what you do.

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful)
Nathan and Kelli

Anonymous said...

Wow, Uncle Tom! You even managed to sneak in your halftime show (pictures at the site Karen referenced in the last post). Enjoy your day of rest. Praying for continued good weather, good riding, and good testimony.
Meg