Friday, June 27, 2008

Day 12, Twin Falls, ID to Burley, ID, 38 miles

I got up early to eat breakfast (I’m always famished) and rode down to the Snake River Gorge to watch guys jump off the bridge from 1,000 feet up! It’s called base jumping and they jump from the bridge into a free fall and throw their parachute up over their heads until the speed and wind catch and open the chute. This is followed by a violent looking lurch of their bodies. Then there is a peaceful and controlled ride and landing (still on their feet) on the banks of the Snake River. You will be happy to know I did not attempt a jump myself although one young guy thought I was crazy for riding my bike from the Pacific Ocean to Minneapolis. That is the pot calling the kettle black, I’d say.

Since today was a short 38 mile leg we visited the Shashawnee water falls and did some site seeing so our total ended up being around 50 miles. We divided up into teams today and had a scavenger hunt during the ride. It was great fun on an easy day preparing for tomorrow’s difficult ride of 110 miles to Blackfoot, ID.

Because we arrived early to the hotel the rooms weren’t ready yet but to my great fortune the hotel clerks were Filipinos! After some introductions and extensive conversation in Tagalog they suddenly decided that my room was actually ready now! This caused both surprised looks and grimaces from my fellow riders. It was a great time to explain the Filipino tradition and culture of “kaibigan at kasama” (friends and associations). I just love the look on Filipino faces when I begin speaking to them in Tagalog and the walls come tumbling down. Josephine and Ray were Crispa fans (I played for the basketball team Crispa in the early ‘80’s in the Philippines) and we talked about basketball and then about Jesus.

Thanks for praying. I had another great day.

Love ya,
Tom

I Corinthians 9:19-23 “… I am not bound to obey anyone just because he pays my salary; yet I have freely and happily become a servant of any and all so that I can win them to Christ. When I am with the Jews I seem as one of them so that they will listen to the Gospel and I can win them to Christ. When I am with Gentiles who follow Jewish customs and ceremonies I don’t argue, even though I don’t agree, because I want to help them. When with the heathen I agree with them as much as I can, except of course that I must always do what is right as a Christian. And so, by agreeing, I can win their confidence and help them, too.”

“When I am with those whose consciences bother them easily, I don’t act as though I know it all and don’t say they are foolish; the result is that they are willing to let me help them. Yes, whatever a person is like, I try to find common ground with him so they he will let me tell him about Christ and let Christ save him. I do this to get the Gospel to them and also for the blessing I myself receive when I see them come to Christ.”

No comments: