Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 5, Prineville, OR to John Day, OR, 120 miles

Until today I have never ridden 120 miles in one day let alone after four straight days with 300 miles in my legs and with two very challenging climbs the first 60 miles! We climbed through the Ponderosa pines early and I saw an elk, deer, rabbits, a couple pronged horn antelope, a prairie dog, and a big rattle snake.

The second more significant climb caused a terrific ache in my thighs and hamstrings but what joy and satisfaction I felt to summit and reach speeds of 45 to 50 mph on the descent. The scenery was awesome racing down the canyons and along rivers and meadows sprinkled with wild flowers.

The hot sun gave me a sunburn on my face, my hands and shoulders hurt, and my bottom is pretty sore but my spirit is soaring when I think how far I’ve gone and what I’m experiencing. I pulled out my prayer cards to avoid counting down the last 20 miles on my odometer. Praying through my list makes the time go by fast.

I have no time or desire to read the newspaper or watch TV but am finding quality time to talk and listen to Jesus.

Relationships with other riders are developing and we talk, assist each other, and look out for each other during and after rides. The Fruit of the Spirit are practiced by many. Galatians 5:22, 23 says, “But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives He will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”

We climb together again tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Tom! You're an inspiration to all of us back home...

Anonymous said...

Tom, We know Jesus loves His time with you as you talk and listen to Him... flying past His creation!!
Our prayer for you from Nehemiah...
O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant Tom, and to the prayers of those who delight to fear your name, and give success to Tom today, and grant him mercy.
love you! Michael and Jan

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your beautiful description of the John Day wilderness. I rode through there (in a car) a couple of years ago. Keep on praying!