Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Day 3, Welches, OR to Kah-Nee-Ta, OR, 66 Miles

Dear Kids at Sankey Samaritan Home in Lucena City, Philippines,
(And to all the other readers, too!)

Magandang araw sa inyong lahat mga anak ko! (Good day to all my many kids!)

Today your Uncle Tom rode from the mountains to the desert. When I started this morning it was only 38 degrees which is very cold for this time of year but it was because we were at a high elevation. We started with lots of warm clothes on then dropped them with our leader in the truck as it gets warmer.

To begin we had a 20 kl. climb with snow around us before heading down to the high desert of Oregon where it was 80 degrees! It can snow 1 meter in a day in the mountains. (Uncle Toto will explain snow to you!) The air is thinner on top of the mountains and many riders suffer from altitude headaches in the evenings after big climbs.

I saw some elk and deer today. When I got to the desert I saw at least 20 wild horses running near the isolated road I was riding on. Our country is beautiful and I enjoy the time with Jesus as I ride along hours at a time praying for each one of you. Because I am riding for you and other Filipino kids my legs don’t seem to get tired even though matanda na ako! (I am old!)

I you want to imagine what it is like to ride a bike so far go and sit on top of a fence post, lean forward for six hours, move your feet in circles, and eat things like raisons, bananas, and a liter or two of Gatorade each hour! Masakit any puit ko! (My butt hurts!)

Remember the verse in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 in your Bible? It talks about discipline and training and sacrificing to prepare yourself to perform your best not only in athletics but in school, music, and most importantly in your Christian life! I began training for this adventure with Jesus in January and six months of practice has at least given me a chance to succeed. You can do the same and are doing it now! Keep listening to Uncle Toto and Ate Bebs and God will make you strong Christians and you can accomplish great things for God.

I love you and am so very proud of you!

Uncle Tom

Keep praying for me because we are going to help lots more Filipino kids after my ride!

2 comments:

The Shepherd's said...

tom keep up the great work, you are the best man i have ever met, we are so proud of you!!!!!!! we are praying for your safety, strength and health. love tony and monique

The Shepherd's said...

tom keep up the great work, you are the best man i have ever met, we are so proud of you!!!!!!! we are praying for your safety, strength and health. love tony and monique