Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Day 17, Dubois, WY to Riverton, WY, 79 miles

From Dubois to Riverton is 80 miles of beautiful scenery and thankfully, is also pretty flat. After two days of incredible climbs in the mountains it started out very easily with a tailwind for the first 40 miles. And even though we had headwinds the last 40 miles it was a very reasonable 80 mile ride! (I must be nuts!)

The first 30 miles I talked with Nathan and Kelli, a young couple in the Marines. They have asked me for suggestions to help them in their future. In enjoyed telling them about how the Lord helped Karen and me and the time and miles went by quickly. This couple is so special. They give you joy just visiting with them. Their online blog is at www.americabybicycle.wordpress.com. There are a number of military and retired military riding and their discipline, training, and perseverance is impressive.

Tomorrow (Thursday) we are going to ride 120 miles to Casper, WY across desolate country where the towns are as small as 10 people! There may be head winds, severe thunderstorms, and temperatures in the 90’s but at least no mountains are in the way!!

Everyday I celebrate finishing another day and have learned to think and live for one day at a time. My ribs are now improving and I look forward to my longest one day ride ever. I have made it over the mountains!

Philippians 4:6, 7 taken from The Message encourages me. “Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.”

No comments: