Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day 14, Blackfoot, ID to Idaho Falls, ID, 33 miles

Even though today was only 33 miles to Idaho Falls everyone was sore, tired, and mentally worn out from the 110 mile ride into the wind yesterday. I also must admit I am tired, sore, and my ribs are a significant problem.

But my room here is on the sixth floor and overlooks the river and some beautiful falls! I am also looking at the Grand Teton Mtns. from my balcony and they are breathtaking and intimidating at the same time. It is 88 miles to Jackson Hole, WY climbing to Pine Creek Pass at 6764 feet, a brief recovery, and then climbing to the Teton Pass Summit at 8431 feet. The descent off the last summit is five miles with possible speeds of 50 mph on the bike!

The sore ribs and breathing the thinner air will make it a great challenge tomorrow. I feel like I did before a basketball game or halftime show sometimes. In fact, this reminds me of going into China to play basketball with Bibles in my bags or playing in Mindanao, Philippines, or hearing the gunfire at night or the ambush in Pampanga in 1979.

It’s good to try something you are not sure you can do. Or as that great missionary, David Morken, once said, “Try something you are destined to fail at unless God intervenes.”

God lives in the Grand Tetons and I will say hello tomorrow and enjoy His fellowship and encouragement all the way to Jackson Hole!

Psalm 121: 1, 2 says, “I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,
The Lord and his angels will lift you over the top of all mountains you climb because you are his mature follower, and you know He is your strength. Enjoy the ride into Wyoming. Thank goodness for hotels and not tents! Say hi to the man above from all us who pray for you and the team, as you travel the Grand Tetons.
Lynn and Craig