Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 23, Rapid City, SD to Wall, SD, 57 miles

We had thunderstorms and rain in the morning but it turned into a beautiful day to ride to Wall, South Dakota. We had to ride 18 miles on the interstate shoulder. Sometimes the big trucks come by fast and close enough to give you a big push in the back with a wind draft.

My legs were tired from all the climbing yesterday but I had a laugh when I finished in Wall today and went to the famous Wall Drug and had a root beer float and cheeseburger with my free water! Some tourists came up and were excited because they had taken my picture at Mt. Rushmore yesterday and here I was a hundred miles later in Wall today! The poor guy was getting 8 miles to the gallon in his RV and paying over $4 per gallon and a bike rider was meeting him at the same places! When I said good by I said I’d see them in Sioux Falls!

I have not read a newspaper or watched TV in a week but the world seems to be going on without me. More Bible reading and prayer time sure makes me more optimistic about my future and my mood more peaceful. I realize there can be a balance but I have enjoyed filling my mind and thoughts on St. Paul’s suggestion in Philippians 4:8 and Colossians 3:2. I miss your company Karen but have not felt lonely because of the special time with the Lord alone.

Mike and Jan sent me a box of cookies from Sleepy Hollow, IL with a quote from General Patton who said, “An army is run on its stomach” which definitely applies to endurance biking, too! But I think Christians run on what they feed their minds and I’m finding mine renewed by some good meditation on His Word.

Love you more than ever,
Tom

Philippians 4:8 “And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.”

Colossians 3:2 “Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.”

Romans 12:2 “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.”

1 comment:

toto said...

Hi Uncle Tom,
We are very proud of you.......your an amazing man of GOD...we keep on praying for you and your good health,kayang- kaya mo yan,coz God given you an ability to help people especially filipino's,,, we read and follow your ride every day, you look guapo pa rin ,, ......thanks for the love and being our father here at sankey sankey samaritan mission..we love you tatay tom...
toto,bebs and sankey kids